Salam & hello to all my dearest reader, today i would like to share some general information about our Malaysian Army. Malaysia front line consist of Rejimen Askar Melayu Di Raja, Royal Malay Regiment (RAMD) Rejimen Renjer Di Raja, Royal Ranger Regiment (RENJER) Kor Armor Di Raja, Royal Armour Corps (ARMOR) and finally Rejimen Gerak Khas, Special Forces Regiment (KOMANDO)
- Rejimen Askar Melayu DiRaja (Royal Malay Regiment) is the most senior regiment of the Malaysian Army.
- Its ranks are recruited from amongst the Malay population.
- The Regiment has 25 battalions which are configured as :-
- Standard Infantry Battalions (20 battalions), Mechanised Infantry Battalions (2 battalions)
- Parachute Infantry Battalions (2 battalions) or as Support Battalions (1 battalion).
- The 1st Battalion, the most senior in the Regiment, currently undertakes ceremonial and Royal Guard duties.
- A unit of the Regiment, 19th Bn Royal Malay Regiment (Mech) was involved in the rescue of US Rangers and Delta Force operatives in Somalia during the Battle of Mogadishu.
- The unit of 32 Radpanzer Condor APCs and 113 men from MALBATT 1 went in with the United States 10th Mountain Division to rescue the trapped rangers. Four APCs were immobilised and were destroyed by US helicopter gunships.
- 19 Royal Malay Regiment suffered 1 soldier killed in action (KIA), Pvt Mat Aznan Awang while 8 others were wounded in action (WIA). Pvt Mat Aznan Awang was later promoted posthumously to Corporal and was awarded with Pingat Seri Pahlawan Gagah Perkasa, the nation’s highest gallantry award. In total, 7 officers and 26 NCOs were awarded with various medals for their valour during the operation, the highest number of men recommended for medals in a single unit in a single operation.
- Rejimen Renjer DiRaja (Royal Ranger Regiment)is a multi-racial unit organised along similar lines to the Rejimen Askar Melayu DiRaja. There are currently 9 Renjer battalions.
- The Regiment traces its roots to the Sarawak Rangers and the Sarawak Constabulary, famed jungle trackers who had a deadly reputation during the Malayan Emergency and during the Communist Party of Malaya’s insurgency in Malaysia.
- The 8th Bn Royal Ranger Regiment (8 Renjer) was the first infantry battalion in the Malaysian Army to undergo conversion into an airborne battalion.
- The unit is currently assigned to the elite 10 Brigade (Para).
- The Malaysian Army’s most decorated hero, WOI (Rtd) Kanang anak Langkau was a Regimental Sergeant Major of 8 Renjer.
- Kor Armor DiRaja (Royal Armour Corps) provides the armour capability for the Malaysian Army.
- Currently, the Corps consists of 5 Battalions (sometimes errantly referred to as Regiments), which are equipped with various armoured personnel carriers and light combat vehicles.
- The delivery of 48 PT-91M Twardy Main Battle Tanks from Poland has started in summer 2007.
- Rejimen Gerak Khas (Special Forces Regiment) is the special forces and commando regiment of the Malaysian Army.
- 21 Gerup Gerak Khas is the operational home of various specialists and the Commando battalions which are capable of conducting unconventional warfare or special operations.
- One of the known foreign operations involving this regiment was an attack by Somali militia on a convoy transporting UN Intelligence Chief in UNOSOM II on 18 July 1994. In the action, 2 members of the regiment were killed in action while another 4 were wounded.
- One of the injured men was taken hostage by the militia and was released 9 hours later.