Fan-made Mortal Kombat+ fixes bugs and adds new features to the original arcade trilogy

0

Facial palm: The team behind Mortal Kombat missed a golden opportunity to celebrate the franchise’s 30th anniversary earlier this month. An August leak suggested a ho-hum birthday package was in the works, but on October 8, all we got was a 90-second birthday video posted to YouTube.

Fortunately, the gaming community took matters into their own hands.

Mortal Kombat+ is a project that involves taking the first three games in the series – Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 – and disassembling their code to fix known issues that Midway never bothered to fix. to correct.

Each game has its own set of issues, but all receive improved factory user settings, better CPU AI, updated sound, and new characters. MK1 and MKII also get combo counters, 2v2 mode plus tag-team mode and will have all levels unlocked.

MK1+ is currently in development with a beta expected by the end of 2022. A beta (version 2.8.50) is already available for MKII+ and Ultimate MK3+ (version 2.0.0) for those who wish to give it a go. cut. The files are available for download for MAME and Fightcade on the project website.

Ed Boon, one of the franchise’s original creators, was recently interviewed by PlayStation Blog ahead of the 30th anniversary. In it, he said that one of the secrets to Mortal Kombat’s enduring success was that each game brought something new to the table. Things outside of the games, like movies, animation, and merchandising, also helped keep the series in the public eye.

Boon also touched on Acclaim’s infamous Mortal Monday, the $10 million ad campaign that coincided with the release of Mortal Kombat for Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Game Boy, and Game Gear.

As for what’s next, Boon said they haven’t made the final MK game yet but can’t reveal more. A sequel to the Mortal Kombat movie reboot is also in the works, and Boon has confirmed that the project is progressing well.

Share.

Comments are closed.